Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Tra-Abel Cambodia Trip: Pub Street and Night Market

I arrived at Cambodia late in the afternoon, so my first day in Siem Reap was spent checking in my hotel and checking out the town. During my 4 days 3 nights stay at Cambodia, I stayed at Mandalay Inn. It was an old budget hotel located in Psar Chaa Area near the Pub Street and Night Market where all the fun is.

After depositing my things at the hotel, I immediately went out to walk around the area and look for a place to eat dinner (this is my usual routine whenever I get to a new place). Some few turns and blocks away, I found myself in Pub Street and Night Market. 


It was a comprehensive collection of stalls and stores selling everything from handicrafts to gadgets, from fresh produce to authentic Khmer cuisines and other things a traveler needs. I made some few notes and memorized store names on which I would be going back to on my last day at Siem Reap to buy souvenir items.


In the meantime I settled in one of the eateries where a lot of foreigners and locals are eating for dinner - Steven Corner. 


It is a simple eatery which serves a selection of delicious Khmer cuisine. Since it was my first dining experience at Cambodia, I just ordered a serving of seafood fried rice and a glass of (something)nut shake for a total price of US$5. 



After eating, I continued walking through the Pub Street and enjoyed observing the people (both foreigner and locals) having fun. To be honest, I was a little envious, If only I had a friend or a companion to share a drink with. [insert a long sigh here]. I went back to my hotel with a promise to go back at Pub Street and try the local Angkor Beer. I also thought of finding a friend to share the fun with, so as not to look like a total loser and loner much! LOL

On my last night at Cambodia, my prayers were answered and God introduced me to a fellow pinoy whom I met during my tour at Angkor Wat. Earlier that day before the tour ended and we went our separate ways, we made a promise to meet up at Pub Street and have some fun that night. So after some much needed rest from the whole day tour of Small Circuit Angkor Wat, I excitedly went out and made my way to the Pub Street. With Facebook messenger as our only means of communication, Yeye sent a message that it would be more convenient to meet at her hostel rather than meeting up at the crowded Pub Street. She was staying at The Backpacker Hostel, which, in my opinion is better than Mandalay Inn [It has better facilities since it is still fairly new (and there is an indoor party pool!), the staff were also friendly and the ambience and vibe is very youthful].

So anyways, I fetched my friend and we went back to the Pub Street to look for a place for dinner. Since neither one of us knows a place for good food/good drinks, we just decided to eat at Steven Corner. We ordered a noodle (canton of some sort), fried prawns and beef fried rice. 




After filling our stomachs, we went to the Night Market for some souvenir shopping. I find it easier to haggle and ask for discounts if I have someone with me.I am usually afraid and shy to ask for discount especially in a foreign land.

After spending more than 3 hours of bargaining and shopping, trying street food, and sharing random stories, we decided to look for a place to drink. What better way to end the day and culminate my tour at Cambodia than to drink a few bottles of beer. We scoured the Pub Street and found ourselves at Banana Leaf bar and restaurant. 


The place was the perfect spot to watch the people partying at the street. We ordered the local Angkor premium beer and they served us with complimentary popcorn for a pulutan.


We stayed there for an hour sharing stories, talking about jobs, families and travel escapades. It was almost midnight when we called it a day and went back to our hotels. We bade goodbye and promised each other to keep in touch! 

The days I spent at Siem Reap, Cambodia were so meaningful and memorable not only because of the places I was able to visit but of the people I’ve been with. Travelling alone does not necessarily means spending the whole time of your travel alone. Traveling alone opens up the opportunity to meet new friends outside your comfort zone and to learn new things about yourself. 


To the Japanese girls I met during my first tour, I hope we can meet again someday and share more stories about the differences in our culture. To my fellow pinoys whom I met during my tour at Angkor Wat, I wish you more years of travel (In travelling, age doesn’t matter). Finally to Yeye who I became friends with, teh’ sana matuloy na yung pinaplano nating pagtravel together!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to give your comments, queries and questions...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this blog with your friends