Sunday, December 7, 2014

Chasing Sunset at Phnom Krom Hilltop Temple



After a whole day tour of the outer circuit of Angkor Wat, I still have enough energy for a Cambodian sunset adventure. The famous locations for sunset viewing are Pre Rup and Angkor Wat. Since I just got back from Pre Rup, I decided to go to Angkor Wat to experience the sunset on this side of the planet. I hired a tuktuk to take me to Angkor Wat who is willing to wait for me and bring be back after dark or after the sun has completely set. We were a few meters away from the temple when I noticed the massive crowd in front of the temple. The driver told me that this was normal and he suggested if I want to try another site. At first, I was hesitant since I was alone and I don’t normally trust strangers (that’s what my mom taught me LOL). But without much of a choice, rather than squeezing my way through the crowd, I just agreed to the recommendation given by the tuktuk driver.

So off we went to this unheard name of the temple at the top of the hill. We drove past the pub street and night market, along the green rice fields until we reached the foot of a hill where a stairway can be found. It took us around 20 minutes and around 10 kilometers to get there. I was a little worried when we got there, since there were no traces of tourists in the area but mostly locals. The place reminded me of a secluded sitio or barangay in one of the remote provinces in the Philippines. The driver then told me to climb the stairway and follow the path to the hilltop where the temple is located.

Stairway to Heaven?
So I made my way to the top of the staircase, it was not that high and steep but tiring just the same. Upon reaching the end of the staircase, I was expecting to see a temple or ruins but instead, I was greeted by a dirt road leading to the top. Confused on where to go and what to do, I then looked for a person to ask where the dirt road will take me but found none. There was nothing but just an empty makeshift shed and birds flying above my head. The sun was about to set and the skies turned into a bright yellow color, reminding me that I have little time to look for the temple. 

With that view as inspiration, there's no stopping me to continue walking on.
I was unsure to continue and just wanted to go back down the stairs. But decided against it and mustered enough courage to walk on and hike to the hilltop. Moments later I found myself in a concrete road and another set of staircase leading to God knows where and what. Since I was nearing the top of the hill, I just continued to walk up and decided to trust my instincts. A few steps from the top, I saw a modern era temple where a couple of monks were in the middle of praying and a few kids playing on the ground. 

Modern era temple with some monks walking around.
Modern era temple view from the side
Statue of angels (?) posted at the entrance of the temple
I then spotted a couple of western tourist walking up in another set of staircase (again?) on the left of the temple. I immediately followed them and was surprised to see the temple ruins at the hill top.

The temple ruins at Phnom Krom Hilltop
Prasat Phnom Krom consists of three towers situated on a hilltop. It is a Hindu shrine dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma and was built on the end of 9th century. This is one of the three hilltop temples built in Angkor region (the other two are Phnom Bakheng and Phnom Bok).

Pretty amazing towers (prasat) at the hilltop!
Although the upper portions of the towers have collapsed and the facades degraded, it still intact and most importantly they look beautiful and magnificent especially with the sunset as the backdrop.

Setting sun peeking between the temple towers! Simply amazing!
A few walks away from the tower ruins is a viewing area where you can set up your tripod and camera for the perfect sunset pictures. 

Vast green rice fields and the Tonle Sap Lake on the left side!
From here you can see the north end of the Tonle Sap Lake and the vast rice fields. There are a number of tourists around the area but not as much from those that can be found at Angkor Wat.

It was already dark when I made my way back to the foot of the hill where my driver was waiting for me. It might not be as grand as the sunset view from Angkor Wat but the serenity and exclusivity of the place made it all worth it for me. 

Time to go home! :)
Another 10 minutes on the road and I was back in front of Mandalay Inn. Since it was already dinnertime and the memory card of my DSLR almost reach its limit, I then went to Pub Street and Night Market for dinner and some shopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to give your comments, queries and questions...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this blog with your friends