Sunday, May 18, 2014

Dining and Shopping (More of Panic Buying and Eating) at Bangkok

Eating and shopping goes hand in hand! Especially at Bangkok where there is food available in every street and items can be bought at cheap prices. 


Shopping at Bangkok
Here is an illustration from Lonely Planet’s Southeast Asia on a Shoestring book for your reference:

Type of Business
Business Hours
Exceptions
Bars
6:00 PM until Midnight (officially)
Bars are close during elections and certain religious public holidays. Closing times vary.
Banks
9:30 AM – 3:30 PM, Mon to Fri
ATMs accessible for 24 hours
Clubs (discos)
8:00 AM – 2:00 AM
Clubs are close during elections and certain religious public holidays. Closing times vary.
Live music venues
6:00 PM – 1:00 AM
They are close during elections and certain religious public holidays. Closing times vary.
Restaurants
10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Some restaurants specialize in morning meals and close by 3:00 PM
Stores
Local stores: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Department stores: 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Sometimes they are close due to certain events (Protest).
Source: Lonely Planet - Southeast Asia on a Shoestring


My First Taste of Shopping at Bangkok

Bangkok is a great shopping destination but beware because it can really drain and empty your pockets, especially if you’re an impulsive buyer like me. (So if you are on a tight budget, try to avoid the shopping districts of Bangkok! LOL). A helpful reminder for everyone is (1) to do your shopping right before your return flight to avoid hauling extra cargo and (2) if there isn’t a posted price, then you should bargain for it.


On the day I arrived at Bangkok, my first order of business is to pick-up my bus ticket to Siem, Reap, Cambodia at Thai Ticket Major Booth in Siam Center. This shopping center is located just beside the BTS Siam Station.

The shopping centers at Bangkok are similar to those that can be found here in the Philippines. (Almost all the major Philippine cities are plagued with large malls and shopping centers) The interior of the mall is quite impressive; the decorations reflect the current month’s occasion and the facilities are first class.

Happy Valentines! It's the month of LOVE!
Here are some of the shopping malls at Bangkok I’ve been to:

Asiatique, The Riverfront

Opening Hours: 5:00PM- 12 MN
Location: Chareonkrung Soi 74-76
How to get there: The easiest and fastest way to get there is via boat. Take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and jump on the free shuttle at the end of the pier. It only takes ten minutes, and the boat runs until 23:00. Taxis are not recommended as the traffic can be terrible in this area.

Siam Center

Opening Hours: 10:00 AM- 9:00 PM
Location: Siam near BTS Siam Station
How to get there: The easiest and fastest way to get there is via BTS. Take the BTS to Siam Station, and from the station you can easily locate Siam Center. Taxis and buses are also recommended but sometimes the traffic can be terrible in this area.

Siam Paragon

Opening Hours: 10:00 AM- 10:00 PM
Location: Siam near BTS Siam Station
How to get there: The easiest and fastest way to get there is via BTS. Take the BTS to Siam Station, and from the station you can easily locate Siam Paragon. Taxis and buses are also recommended but sometimes the traffic can be terrible in this area.

Pantip Plaza, Pratunam

Opening Hours: 10:00 AM- 10:00 PM
Location: Siam near BTS Chidlom Station
How to get there: The easiest and fastest way to get there is via BTS. Take the BTS to Chidlom Station. Alternatively, if you started your shopping experience around the Siam area, Pantip Plaza is just 5 to 10 minute walk away.  Taxis and buses are also recommended but sometimes the traffic can be terrible in this area.

Although the above mentioned shopping centers are perfect to escape the scorching heat of the sun, the items are a little bit pricier compared to the stalls that can be found outside or along the streets of Bangkok. A large part of my travel fund went to various gadgets and accessories, which I bought at Pantip Plaza.

Ookii Ookii??? Hmmmm.. Sounds interesting, try saying that here in the Philippines! LOL
I arrived at Bangkok with only a hand carry backpack and left Bangkok with 15 kilograms checked in baggage. Its content are mostly clothes, souvenir items, gadgets and some of the things I bought at Siem Reap Cambodia.

Foodtrips at Bangkok

One of the reasons I travel is because of FOOD. I love to eat. Well, I guess that will not come as a surprise since my body is a BIG living proof. LOL. Here are some of the foods I tried when I was in Bangkok.

Pad Thai

If there is one food synonymous with the country Thailand, that would be Pad Thai! 



Pad Thai with Chicken for 50 Baht Only! 
Pad Thai has different varieties, it goes with chicken (like the picture above), seafood, spring rolls or simply with egg. They also serve Pad Thai Rice like the picture below.  

Pad Thai Rice! My first Pad Thai in Thailand!
Since Pad Thai is so famous in Thailand, it was the first food I ate upon arriving at Bangkok! At Khao San Road, there are plenty of stalls selling Pad Thai with uniform prices.

Tom Yum

Tom Yum-my!!!!
Tom Yum is also one of the famous Thai Food among tourist. However, this is not one of my favorite, it tasted sour and spicy! Oh well, we each have our own preference when it comes to food!

Curry Rice

I love curries! and to taste an authentic one is a delight. Curry in Thailand comes in Red, Green and Yellow (Orange)! The difference between these three varieties is the level of its spiciness (Red being the most spicy, followed by the yellow and the green curry being the mildest). You can choose from Pork, Chicken and Seafood Curry! Nevertheless I tried them all, and they all tasted the same! LOL.


This is the Red Curry 
And the Green Curry!
Writing about this now, makes me wanna eat something with curry (Kari-kari?)! I can't wait to try the curries at Nepal and India though. 

BBQ
A stall selling BBQ, I found at Ayutthaya during the tour!
This is one of my favorite food in Bangkok! You must be wondering why, but the barbecue sold in the Philippines never tasted that good and that cheaper! LOL... 

Thai Noodle Soup

Let me tell you the tale on how I got to try a Thai Noodle Soup and here it goes: Through out the duration of my stay at Khao San Road, I always passed by this stall selling something, the smell of which reminds me of Hong Kong! It is located in front of 7/11 and near NapPark Hostel. One time, I tried to look at their menu but all I saw was scribbles (all written in Thai language without pictures), so in the fear of ordering something not edible (exotic, hehe) that might upset my stomach, I gave them back the menu and went to a different place to eat. Surprisingly, on my last night at Bangkok, I finally had the courage to go back to the stall and order something I do not know. I just pointed (turo-turo ang peg?) an item in the menu and waited for the food to be delivered in my table. Waiting for my order to arrive was the most excruciating time I had during my stay at Thailand. Hahaha. When my order arrived, I felt relieved that it was after all a Thai Beef Noodle Soup. That's all, BOW!   


Thai Beef Noodle Soup
Fruit Shakes

You can't live without these!!! Due to the scorching hot weather at Bangkok, having a fruit shake every now and then is a must (for me). They help in relieving the hot temperature and my hotness!! LOL. My favorites are Dragon Fruit, Mango and Lychee!


Hmmm... Perfect for Summer!
Street Foods

One of the food I enjoyed most when I was in Bangkok was the street foods. They are really cheap and delicious at the same time!


Make your choice!
If you are a foodie like me, Bangkok is a heaven for you! Most of my pocket money went to food expenses (aside from shopping). You can try these areas for the best food in town:  Hualumpong (Chinatown), Khao San Road, Nana/Asok BTS Stations, Ta Chang/Ta Chien Pier Stations.

Go back to Tra-Abel Guide to Bangkok, Thailand!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to give your comments, queries and questions...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this blog with your friends