Friday, January 24, 2014

CARAGA Northeastern Mindanao – Tinuy-an Falls (Day 1): “Niagra Falls” of the Phillipines

“Niagra Falls” of the Philippines

The driver arrived in my hotel (Pensionne La Salle) exactly at the agreed time, so without further ado, we started our trip to Tinuy-an Falls! The road to the falls was a little rough and uncomfortable (or I’m not just used in riding single motorcycles), but the view along the way is quite interesting.  The trip took us around 45 minutes to get there.

3 tiered waterfalls!

An Environmental Fee (Php50.00) is collected at the entrance of the falls. Even from afar, you can already hear the gushing of the waters brought by the strong and long falls. There are no public utility vehicles going to Tinuy-an Falls, you have to hire a motorcycle, or a van or bring your private car! There are small establishments (Karinderia) at the entrance of the falls, where you can buy foods and drinks. 

Tinuy-an Falls, Bislig City!

Tinuay-an Falls, one of Bislig’s (more of Caraga Region’s) prominent attractions is the most dazzling and widest waterfalls in the country, hence, it is known as the “Niagra Falls” of the Philippines. I was mesmerized by its grandeur. It made me feel like I am one with nature.

The falls is surrounded by luxuriant trees, giant ferns, wild orchids and vines along the bank of the river and multi-layered riverbed of stones magically crafted by nature. A really enchanting falls enclosed with heavily forested hills. It has a three-tiered falls with a total height of 55 meters and bathing area of 95 meter.

Tinuy-an Falls!!!






Making memories you’ll never forget!

The view of the falls got me excited to explore every bit it has to offer. I wanted to try crossing the shallow part of the riverbed and take pictures (using my smartphone) of the falls in different angles, so I gave it a go! Halfway the riverbed, the rocks got a little slippery but I still continued my “katangahan” (stupidity) of crossing it. When I was nearing the other end of the river bed, I accidentally stepped on an unsteady stone that made me fall on my back. With quick thinking, I was able to raise my right hand, with the smartphone in it, so as not to get the device wet. Sadly though, to reclaim myself from that embarrassing act, I tried to stand immediately using my hands as a support, forgetting that the smartphone is still in my right hand. 

Sample picture taken using my wet smartphone! (Sirang Phone)

With an injured finger, back ache and a wet smartphone (three-month old Samsung Galaxy S4), I was finally able to cross the riverbed! Yey, what an accomplishment! (sarcasm) 


Alone in the raft with no friends to share the fun with!

After the stunt I did, I was really ashamed and embarrassed but that did not stop me from enjoying the rest of my trip to Tinuy-an Falls. A Manong offered me a ride to one of his rafts for Php150.00 only. So I willingly accepted his offer because it seems fun to be near the splashing waters of the falls.

Getting ready for action!






There were four rafts available for the tourist to rent. And at that time, the other three rafts were also occupied. The awkward thing was, the passengers on the other rafts were all looking at me because I was the only one in my raft (loner much); theirs was either full or half-full. Nevertheless, the experience was one of the highlights of my trip to Tinuy-an. The water was really cold and at the same time relaxing. You just have to find yourself a spot where the splash of the water is not that strong.

After spending 3 hours at Tinuy-an Falls, I decided to go back to my hotel at Bislig City for lunch, and to prepare for my Enchanted River Tour in the afternoon.


Unexpected (No Choice) City Tour

I was about to contact the driver when my smartphone suddenly went dead and the screen turned black! With no other means of communication, I decided to move my Enchanted River for tomorrow, hoping that my phone will be fine by then. I went to the market and city proper trying to forget the thought that my phone might not work again.

The Central Market of Bislig City offers a lot, from fresh seafood to delectable local dishes. Street foods are also abundant such as BBQ, Fishballs, ‘Isaw’ and a lot more. I went back to the hotel with a full stomach and luckily my phone started to show improvements. I hurriedly sent a message to the driver to explain the reason why I was not able to answer his messages earlier and informed him that my Enchanted River Tour will still push through tomorrow early morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to give your comments, queries and questions...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this blog with your friends